All About Me – Names, Birthdays, Hands, And More
- Categorized in: Brookfield Pre-Kindergarten
With classroom transitions, it was a fantastic time to get to know each other a little bit better. We spent most of September with this unit. Here are just some of the highlights…
Math – We did a comparative measurement math activity. The children were given strips of paper in various lengths. They were given the job to find the other child who’s strip was the same size. They did a lot of trial and error to find their partner. After finding their partner, they colored a picture together to work on cooperation.
Literacy – We have been using our special star pointers to find letters around the classroom. The children liked looking high and low for them. They even found them in books! Each child has been so interested in finding the letters in their names around the classroom, and in the world around them.
Dramatic Play - We fixed our dramatic play area to create a birthday party. We added streamers, birthday cakes, and presents. We also added literacy to the area when we added birthday invitations. The children helped write out invitations so everyone was invited.
Art – We were so inspired by birthday streamers, we used them for art. The children worked on some beautiful collages. They used their fine motor skills to paint glue on the paper and then added the streamers.
Fine Motor – One activity we did for fine motor coordination was with playdough. It also included counting since we made birthday cakes and added candles to the top. We also wrapped birthday presents using our wooden blocks. It is harder than one would think to do this.
Science and Sensory – Our science has been discovery based for the last few weeks. The children have had an obsession with magnets. We accidently dropped a magnet and discovered it stuck to the metal part of the chair. We then went around the classroom to discover what else a magnet might stick to. It struck to the screws of the cubbies, but not to the wood. It also stuck to our door. It didn’t stick to the tables.
- 2011-09-06 News and Plans - Names Birthdays.pdf (366.98 KB)
- 2011-09-15 News and Plans - Hands All About Me.pdf (398.37 KB)
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this blog to a friend:
Recalls and Safety
- Deezo Children's Hooded Sweatshirts with Drawstrings Recalled by Zulily Due to Strangulation Hazard
- The Land of Nod Recalls Plush Dollies Due to Choking Hazard
- Children's Apparel Network Recalls Girl's Clothing Sets; Waist Belt Poses Risk of Entrapment
- Reed and Barton Recalls Gingham Bunny Forks and Spoons for Babies Due to Choking and Ingestion Hazards
- Infant and Children's Dungarees Recalled by J.P. Boden Due to Choking Hazard